2010 July ExCom Minutes Print
Wednesday, 20 October 2010 22:30

ILCA-NA Executive Committee
Meeting Minutes
July 13, 2010

Chairman Tracy Usher called the meeting to order at 8:05 pm.  Also in attendance were, Lauralee Symes, Clay Johnson, Jerelyn Biehl, and Sherri Campbell. Tommy Wharton, Brent Richards, and Eric Faust were unable to make the call.

1. The minutes from June 8, 2010 were approved as circulated.

2.  Action Items

a. Laser Performance contract: no response from the e-mail sent last week from Brent Richards & Chip Wilkerson. We need to follow-up with a direct phone call which Sherri will do.  Possibly sending a certified letter for response and/or turning off links on the website.

3. Office Report
a. The Laser Sailor: TLS printed & in mail. 
b. Finances:  nothing new
c. Membership: see below

4. AGM meeting summary: the minutes are ready to post as soon as the ExCom approves. Approximately 8 people attended.  The District Secretary meeting was far more successful. 

5. Promotion of Laser 4.7 sailing: SF event next year is drawing attention and Tracy is hoping that the youth group will look at the 4.7. Look into placing an ad in the Opti newsletter to promote the event. Sherri will look into the Opti ad.

6. Membership: looking at Sherri’s spreadsheet has been helpful.  16 districts are losing members and the rest are gaining.

a. Plan to get to 2000 by 8/31. Discussion on how to entice sailors to join and benefit from their membership.
b. Plan for next year: foster fleet growth by re-establishing fleets and have a promotion to acknowledge memberships. Discussion of September 1 as the target date to switch over and coordination with Regatta Network. Engage DS to identify fleets to add. August meeting – discuss additional promotional ideas to encourage people to see the value in joining.
i. 6 members gets every member in the fleet a hat

7. Review of The Laser Sailor format: Most of the information is coming off the internet. Discuss how to improve – Clay suggested lessons learned, off the water, social stories as alternative articles. Interviews with top sailors, latest techniques. Hold off putting on the website until it’s printed. Local fleet profiles, photos, personalities.  Discussion of developing the members only section more. Look into advertising strategy for the website.

8. Old Business: Any update on the new sail and when it will be available?  Everything is currently on hold with the owner of the trademark & builders.  The blades are also indeterminate on dates.  Schedule – plan for future events.  Contact Sherri.

Next call set for August 10.

Meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm