2013 November ExCom minutes Print
Tuesday, 17 December 2013 21:10

ILCA-NA Executive Committee
Meeting Minutes
November 11, 2013

Chairman Andy Roy called the meeting to order at 7:20 pm EST.  Also in attendance were Al Clark, Eric Reitinger, Meka Taulbee and Sherri Campbell.  

1.The minutes from September 17, 2013 call were approved.

2.Status of action items
a.    Laser Website: discussion that a website rebuild may be too expensive and that we should update our current site with help from our current host.  Sherri will also check with the ILCA office about their possible plans for a new website and the suggested inclusion of a “clickable” world map.  Our site would link to that map if they decide to include it.
b.    October election update: no nominations were received so all current officers will continue and there is a current opening for the ExCom secretary position.  All were tasked with thinking of anyone who might be interested. A potential message for D24 list subscribers from Nick Burke was read for review.  All agreed that Sherri will let Nick know that he is welcome to circulate the message.
c.    Membership promotional item: Sherri suggested the purchase of 2,000 beverage koozies with the Laser logo and the url for all 2014 members.  These should be small enough to mail out with the 2014 Handbooks.  This idea was approved.  Sherri will place the order.

3.Office Report
a.    The Laser Sailor: It was noted that a push is necessary to get more content for   future issues.  Also several comments were received about the lack of the Laser World insert in the last issue. Jerelyn to follow up with an update of the Google doc for the Winter issue.  Sherri reminded all of the December 1 deadline as the printer and mail house close for the holidays in late December.
b.    Finances: financials through 10/31 and proposed budget for YE 9/30/2014 distributed earlier. Sponsorship will be needed to achieve a balanced budget. Sherri will recirculate the sponsorship package that was developed about 18 months ago.  Meka & Eric agreed to work on that for the next meeting.  The proposed budget was tabled until the next meeting.
c.    Membership: up as of 10/31 over the past four years.  Considerable discussion ensued about ideas to promote membership and district development.  Eric & Meka will draft a template letter to be sent to yacht clubs with active junior programs.  Eric agreed to send personal email messages to district where membership is down over prior year to see what we can do to help.  It was agreed that Sherri will begin a monthly distribution of the approved ExCom minutes to the district secretaries along with a monthly update of the membership report so they can see where they are in comparison with prior years.

4.AOB
a. US Sailing Foundation grants: Sherri announced that grants that she submitted
applications for were approved in the amount of $2,000 for US sailors who will compete at the 2014 4.7 Worlds and $3,000 for sailors at the 2014 Youth Radial Worlds.
b. West Coast Sailing has agreed to provide a variety of prizes for the 2013Grand Prix fleet winners and for some other categories.  The standings will finalize after the D13 championship in early December and will be published in the winter issue of TLS.

Next call: December 10th.

Meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm